When you’re planning your wedding (which most of us girls have dreamt about since we were five!) there’s a lot more to consider than just the style of your dress.
Traditionally weddings are held either inside a church, other religious buildings, or in a registry office. As more venues are licensed for weddings, this trend has changed and people are now choosing various locations in which to tie the knot. Have you ever considered having an outdoor wedding?
So many people dream of having their wedding on the beach or in a grand garden on a beautifully sunny day with all their family and friends around them, but what are the considerations you need to think through first?
1. Location – The first thing to consider is whether you want to get married at home or abroad. If you dream of going overseas, you will need to know the legal requirements for marriage in that country before you start booking and make sure your closest friends and family are on board to make the trip! If you decide you want to get married closer to home, a variety of options are available to you such as a local beach or park, scenic landmarks in beautiful gardens or in the grounds of a state home.
2. Permissions – If you choose to get married in a public place like a beach or a park, you will need to consult your local council to see what permissions you need. If you want to get married in the gardens of a state home you will need to ask permission from the owner of the house and find out if they’re licensed to hold weddings.
3. Back-up Plan – What will you do if the weather is bad and there’s no way the ceremony can be held outside? It’s wise to plan somewhere there is also an indoor location for a plan B, or perhaps you could have a tent or some shelter available if you still wish to have your ceremony outside?
4. Dress – The bridal party needs to plan their outfits according to the location and expected weather for the time of year. If there’s a risk that the ground may be wet, it would be wise for the bride not to wear heels as these could sink into the grass. Many outdoor locations such as beaches can be windy, so consider this when planning your hairstyle as there is nothing worse than having to push your hair out of your eyes all day! If it is likely to be hot, remember to wear sunscreen and don’t wear heavy make-up. Most importantly – don’t forget to tell your guests that the wedding will be outdoors so that they can dress accordingly.
5. Ensure Your Guests Are Comfortable – Your guests will spend a lot of time waiting, especially those who are first to arrive. Depending on the time of year, you need to make sure your guests are taken care of. For example, in hot weather provide cold drinks for them so they don’t get dehydrated. Fans are a good idea to make sure they are comfortable, or perhaps you could even provide sunscreen. In cold weather, outdoor heaters will help guests stay warm and lap blankets particularly for the elderly.
6. Sound – One of the most important things is to make sure everyone can hear the ceremony, especially the all-important vows! Is there space for a sound system to be set up? This will obviously rely on electricity supplies but it’s definitely worth investigating.
7. Reception – Traditionally even though the ceremony is held outside, the reception will be held inside. If you want to keep with the outdoor theme, have you considered renting a tent?
A few things to consider when renting a tent:
- Location – Permission may be needed depending on your venue. Have you got a big enough garden to perhaps have it at home?
- Visit the site first – Wherever you choose to have your tent you need to visit the exact location of where it will be to make sure it’s suitable for your needs.
- Size – What size will you need for the number of guests you’re inviting?
- Catering – Will you be hiring caterers? If so, will they be inside the tent or will they need a separate one?
- Toilets – Will your tent be near a house with sufficient toilet facilities for your guests? If not, you will need to hire portable toilets.
- Lighting, Flooring, Dance Floor – What will these be like? Usually each rental company will have a brochure or a website so that you can find out specific information and choose the exact specifications you desire.
As you can see, planning an outdoor wedding takes a lot of hard work and preparation. There are many other considerations to take into account as well. Whatever wedding location you choose, make sure you think everything through carefully to ensure that you have the perfect wedding you’ve always dreamt of!
This is a guest post from Amy Griffin at Griffin Luxury Toilet Hire. Thanks for sharing your ideas and suggestions with us!